K&N Filter

englisch/english
Vinicius Djabak
Owners Club

K&N Filter

Ungelesener Beitrag von Vinicius Djabak »

Hi, i have also a Grand Cherokee 5.9 and i changed the original air filter for a K&N (only the filter element, not the whole air intake), but i didn't notice any difference.
I'm thinking about doing the same think on my Plus, i mean, change the original air filter for an K&N filter (only the element).
But i'm not sure, someone said to me that it's a little bit risk, because of the air mass sensor, i guess the oil that comes from the filter could damage somewhow the air mass sensor, but i don't know.
Well, did someone on the list changed the original air filter for an K&N? Was there any diference that you could feel?
If the answer was positive, wich model should i search to fit my Plus? The same that goes on the A8???
Please guys, help me on that!!

Thank's

Vinicius (from Brazil :( )
David van Eyk
Owners Club

Ungelesener Beitrag von David van Eyk »

I´ve got an k&n filter.. And it works great. Of course it´s hard to meassure. But In my eyes it works. it breathes better...
and it sounds(notice-able more.. :wink: ) k&n claims it brings extra power.. but that´s peanuts.. you wont notice it.
Size of the filter is a8/s8...
Never heard a story of the airmassa meter with v8´s. S3´s are another story..
For me the k&n filter is a perfect upgrade for the plus
Vinicius Djabak
Owners Club

Ungelesener Beitrag von Vinicius Djabak »

Thank you David! That was a great answer, direct and clear :D
Larsa
Owners Club

Ungelesener Beitrag von Larsa »

But i'm not sure, someone said to me that it's a little bit risk, because of the air mass sensor, i guess the oil that comes from the filter could damage somewhow the air mass sensor, but i don't know.

This is true!
You dont gain any HP.
Ben Maglia
Owners Club
Sport Filter

Ungelesener Beitrag von Ben Maglia »

Hi guys
A replacement filter is no risk.
I have installed on my plussie a sport filter from a porsche 996.
No problem, because we have a special intake system, who open at 4400rpm the full range. Then the sound is nice and you will feel the extra power (ask romulo - he felt it - he has only a standard replacement filter installed).
Bild

Costs only CHF 165.-

You can read more on my website http://www.sect.ch/BEN/CAR.htm

Best regards - BEN
ChipTuning zum Einheitspreis - http://www.UPsolute.ch
Denn ein Avant - ist ein Familienauto ...
... und mit über 300PS geht's einfach
schneller ins Wochenende!
Stian
Owners Club

Ungelesener Beitrag von Stian »

Replacing the filter in the box seldom gives you any more HP, but it has the advantage of being cleanable :wink:
And maybe the sound changes, but my car already had k&n filter when i got it, so i wouldn't know. On turbo cars it changes the sound of the pop-off valve very much.
Larsa
Owners Club

>Ben
"because we have a special intake system, who open at 4400rpm the full range."
I dont get this, did you swich the filter and the intake system. Have you a pitchure on the intake system. Do you sell it in you website and the filter?
Is the Porsche filter bolt on to the plus air chanel.
Ben Maglia
Owners Club

Hi Larsa
I think every Plus has the same intake system - you do not have to change something.
The Porsche filter is connected direct to the air messurement tube. You will get a clamp to fix it.
The filter is from BMC - I think it is to expensive to send you one from Switzerland - Please check the website und look for a local dealer.
Best regards - BEN
Stian
Owners Club

Thanks for the tips, Ben, I replaced my filterbox as well! But I installed a very large K&N filter (228 mm long, 152/117 mm in diameter), the largest you can possibly get in there, hehe:
Bild
(I need to change the angled rubber-tube though, it's too long, so it touches the hood when I close it)
I see now what you mean when you said it opens at full range at 4400 rpm! The sound is completly different. Very nice :D
Ben Maglia
Owners Club

Hi Stian
A little bit too long - your tube is squeezed - that costs you in the minimum 100hp :lol:

I suggest you, that you cover the air mass sensor connector with a heating rubber. So no water can come in. I have to do it too.
When you put out the rest of the airbox cover, you will also get some more space in the depth. My airbox is completely out.
You can see the difference in the tube orientation.
[img]http://www.sect.ch/ben/car/images_s6plu ... rker_s.jpg[/img]

The sound is SSUUPPEERR !!!

Best regards - BEN
Stian
Owners Club

Ben Maglia hat geschrieben:Hi Stian
A little bit too long - your tube is squeezed - that costs you in the minimum 100hp :lol:
Lol, yeah :lol:

As I said, the problem is the angled rubber-tube at the top, but tomorrow I will get it replaced with a tube that fits.
Oh, and I'll try to remove the bottom of the box as well, no need for that :wink:
Larsa
Owners Club

>Ben
Whats heating rubber?
Ben Maglia
Owners Club

Hi Larsa
:idea: Now I know a better word, a shrink tube. I think you know that.
You put it over the cables and heat then - the tube will shrink ...
See you - BEN
Stian
Owners Club

@Ben:

I removed the entire bottom of the airbox, but I think it may be a very bad idea. If you remove it, you have no heatshield from the exhaust manifold, and both the filter, and the air around the filter gets very warm. And the cold air from the intake at the front is wasted into cooling the warm air and the exhaust manifold instead of going straight into the engine. So what I did was to cut a hole in the bottom of the airfilter box, so that the new filter goes through the bottom. It's now no strain at all on the tubes, it's not squeezed at all! And I still got a heatshield :wink:

I'll post a picture later on today.

About the sound: A friend of mine actually thought I had done something with the exhaust because of the sound, hehe. At 4400RPM it almost sounds like a compressor kicks in or something :twisted:
I'll see if I can get the sound recorded :wink:
Stian
Owners Club

So... here it is:
Bild
(The black tape is there to protect the filter from vibration-damages)

And here is a sound recording, I placed the microphone right next to the airfilter :lol:
The sound is a little loud, and the quality is not the best, but I think you'll hear what we are talking about. At approx. 5.5 seconds and 16.5 seconds you hear the change in sound :D
filter-sound.wav
Antworten