Help! Terrible Suspension Noise!

englisch/english
Antworten
J Boone
Owners Club

Help! Terrible Suspension Noise!

Ungelesener Beitrag von J Boone »

For the past year, my Plus has been making terrible squeaking noises from the suspension as I drive. :( Even when parked, if you grab the roof rail and shake the car, you hear the loud squeak as the weight shifts!

This is very embarassing :oops: when I have guests in the car, since it is a luxury sport car that sounds like the suspension is failing. I took it to a couple of mechanics, including an Audi dealership, and they told me that it is from the rubber bushings that are dried out. They said that there is no impact on the handling or safety of the car, but nothing that can be done to fix the noise!

Has anybody had this problem? Has anybody found a solution? My mechanic tried oiling the joints, but I did not notice an improvement.
SilverP
Owners Club
Ungelesener Beitrag von SilverP »

Does it go away, when it rains? Some say, that then it can go away. When it does go away while raining, then I think you have this problem(dried out bushes). Try to locate the part, which is making the noise, and change it for a new one.
Fahr selber und lass andere auch fahren :)[url=http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/247834.html][img]http://images.spritmonitor.de/247834.png[/img][/url]
Marc Welsch
Administrator
Re: Help! Terrible Suspension Noise!

Ungelesener Beitrag von Marc Welsch »

J Boone hat geschrieben:They said that there is no impact on the handling or safety of the car, but nothing that can be done to fix the noise!
Of course their can be done something to reduce those noises. But it is not only one part, their are several parts to be changed. To stop all noises you have to calculated about EUR 2.000 at a german Audi-dealer. After that everything is new (and silently) for the next 120Tkm...
Schöne Inselgrüße Marc

Bild
Ebrahimy Safer
Owners Club

Ungelesener Beitrag von Ebrahimy Safer »

in front or in the back?
in the back, then examine the fall props (wishbones)
J Boone
Owners Club

SilverP hat geschrieben:Does it go away, when it rains? Some say, that then it can go away. When it does go away while raining, then I think you have this problem(dried out bushes). Try to locate the part, which is making the noise, and change it for a new one.
Yes...after heavy rain, the noise goes away for a while
Marc Welsch hat geschrieben:
J Boone hat geschrieben:They said that there is no impact on the handling or safety of the car, but nothing that can be done to fix the noise!
Of course their can be done something to reduce those noises. But it is not only one part, their are several parts to be changed. To stop all noises you have to calculated about EUR 2.000 at a german Audi-dealer. After that everything is new (and silently) for the next 120Tkm...
2.000 Euro! Expensive, but maybe worthwhile to stop this noise :?

I wonder what is the price for only the bushings...my mechanic is an ex-Audi mechanic who has his own shop; but he does not charge 45 euro/hr for labor like Audi...and I think this job would require several hours.

Is there any source for polyurethane bushings for the Plus? I see them for S4/RS4 and TT, but not for S6. If I am to replace all suspension bushings, it would make sense to use poly ones I think, if available.

Thanks all for the info :wink:
Marc Welsch
Administrator

Ungelesener Beitrag von Marc Welsch »

J Boone hat geschrieben:...my mechanic is an ex-Audi mechanic who has his own shop; but he does not charge 45 euro/hr for labor like Audi...
Wow! €45/h would be extremly cheap in Germany. A official Audi-mechanics in Germany will be charged with roundabout €90/h...
Schöne Inselgrüße Marc

Bild
J Boone
Owners Club

Marc Welsch hat geschrieben:
J Boone hat geschrieben:...my mechanic is an ex-Audi mechanic who has his own shop; but he does not charge 45 euro/hr for labor like Audi...
Wow! €45/h would be extremly cheap in Germany. A official Audi-mechanics in Germany will be charged with roundabout €90/h...
I don't feel as bad then; here at the Audi Dealer, labor is €45/h...maybe you should drive south next time you have a big job :wink: My private mechanic worked at Audi but now he has his own shop; he is also the one who tuned my Sierra Cosworth. He charges me only €20/h :)

But I guess you've never heard of aftermarket bushings for the Plus? :?
Karlis
Owners Club

Ungelesener Beitrag von Karlis »

J Boone hat geschrieben: But I guess you've never heard of aftermarket bushings for the Plus? :?
I'm also searching for polyurethane bushings for the Plus.
But only find that is only possible find in "self made version", on local garage where built some things for rally cars.
Antworten